Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Why I will avoid leaving grilled meats outside this summer

We've been working on transitioning our two cats from strictly indoor cats to indoor/outdoor cats. The Huz usually talks to them affectionately and pets them, but his sweet attitude toward them is tempered by bouts of demanding we get rid of them because of allergies. So getting them to spend time outside while we're home seems like a good step toward reducing their dander depositing in the house. I got them each a cute little collar with a name tag, and we're working on getting them to stay in our yard (as opposed to all over the neighborhood -- I know, fat chance).

We've always heard lots of stories from people about how their outdoor cats bring them "presents." But a cat's idea of a present to its owner is a mangled up bunny it pulled out of a nest or a still-chirping bird it managed to snatch out of the air. I always wondered when the gifts would start arriving on my doorstep.

I came home from work, and The Huz greeted me at the door. "Napoleon brought me his first present from outside," he said.

"Oh really? What was it? A mouse or a bunny or what?"

"It was a hot dog," he said.

"A
hot dog? Like a whole hot dog?"

"No. A partially-eaten hot dog."

"Was he eating it, or did he just bring it to you?"

"He came trotting up, dropped it at my feet, and sat there looking at me."

"Gross."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.