Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Don't worry, I went to the gym after it

After getting married, it's easy to forget that some things that you usually do as a couple can actually be fun alone. Since I got Netflix, the frequency with which I see a movie in an actual movie theater has decreased from 4 0r 5 times a year to maybe 2 times a year. Some years ago I went to see a movie alone, kind of as an experiment. Would I be lonely? Would I feel like some kind of loser that can't get a date? It turned out that it was awesome. I didn't have to worry about whether or not someone else was enjoying the movie, I didn't have to deal with someone talking to me, and I didn't have to share any of the goodies that I snuck in. I hardly go out to see movies now, and when I do go, it's a movie The Huz and I have agreed on. But yesterday, I went to see a movie by myself, and I was reminded of the feeling of doing something just for me. Work was slow at the office, so I even left early to catch the afternoon matinee. We had red vines and popcorn at home, and I'm not kidding you, I popped that popcorn, put it in a plastic bag, and went to the movies. The movie was okay, but I'm of the mind that even if I hated a movie, at least I don't still want to see it. As the credits began to roll and people began to file out, a couple with a very young baby came down from a row above me. I'd say she was less than two months old, and she hadn't made a peep. I couldn't believe that I'd probably made more noise with my popcorn and soda than the newborn behind me.

No comments: