I sit at a computer all day at work, so it's pretty regular that The Huz and I have conversations by e-mail. Sometimes it's a quick, "Did you pay the water bill?" Other times we ask about dinner plans or if we'll be free for a wedding coming up in a couple of months. In a self-entertainment effort, sometimes the e-mails get written in less-than-ordinary language. There's been slang (And then I told that woman on the phone that she'd best check herself before she wrecked herself), instant messenger (lol it was so funny btw what's 4 dinner ttyl), and business professional (Dearest husband, will you be returning home for lunch?).
I often think of it as a funny little thing that we do. I mean, two people that talk to each other all day long every day of their lives need to mix it up. I thought of it as intimate, and funny, and even creative. Until today.
He calls me at work after I sent him an e-mail.
"So you want to go see that movie tonight?"
"Well yeah, but if you won't be able to get away from work it's no big deal."
"Well I'm not sure yet how late I'll be here. By the way I don't like Old English."
"No? I thought you'd written to me in Old English before."
"No. It's not modern enough for me. I'd like you to start writing to me in future English."
"Oh okay. Well I'll start working on that."
(And here is where he starts talking to one of his coworkers sitting next to him.)
"My wife asked me out on a date. In Old English."
I never thought that degree in English would backfire on me so publicly.
Thursday, July 5, 2007
Sometimes it's hard to think of a title
at
4:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment